SOKO is seeking an FP&A Director who will strategically partner with the executive team to assist in developing our innovative supply chain solution. The FP&A Director will be a core member of the Global Management Team, supporting the Soko’s operational strategy. They will lead the financial strategic planning process, management of budgeting, product forecasting, accounting, and benchmarking of the business.
The FP&A Director requires strong leadership and partnering across the Global Management team based in San Francisco and Nairobi, Kenya. Agility and creative problem-solving are required as SOKO is actively scaling and demands real-time decision making. This role must be comfortable taking calculated risks and integrating financial management controls in-line with the agility of the company’s strategic operational direction.
Reports to: Chief Executive Office
Direct reports: Finance Director, Procurement Officers, Accounting
Specific Duties Include:
- Work within the Executive Team to develop operational systems and financial controls to meet the needs of the growing business opportunities across the global organization
- Direct oversight, control, and financial management of the planning, budgeting, and forecasting for the global operational costs of the organization, including analytics on sales strategy, production, and capacity development
- Has experience raising and managing all financial aspects of a rapidly growing venture-backed business
- Develop and manage relationships with investors and actively support capital-raising activities
- Work with Legal Counsel to close Series A fundraising round
- Manage corporate governance and ensure CAP table accuracy through our cloud-based equity platform
- Participate in strategic planning efforts of the organization and identify key financial and operational metrics to improve the business
- Prepare and present financial reports to the Board of Directors, Global Management team, and investors
- Direct oversight for the financial analysis of all transactions covering vendor purchases, capital, infrastructure, investments, and sales
- Collaborate with the global management team on capital and operating plans for offices in San Francisco and Nairobi
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal budgetary reporting requirements
- Establishment of strong proactive relationships with all partners (Board, Investors, Accounts, Debt partners, Grantors, etc.)
- Direct and coordinate line of business financial planning, and budget management
- Recommend benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance
- Monitor and analyze monthly operating results against budget
- Drive risk and run rate reduction by optimizing vendor relationships, governance, and negotiation
We are the new luxury.
Designed in San Francisco. Handcrafted responsibly in Kenya.
We are an ethical lifestyle brand and manufacturing platform that brings together artisan communities in the developing world with consumers worldwide. Our innovative supply chain uses mobile technology to connect independent artisan entrepreneurs directly to SOKO and the global marketplace.
SOKO has designed proprietary supply chain technology that transforms the mobile phone into a powerful business tool. Through our distributed production model we call our “virtual factory” we have created a mobile phone-driven supply chain that empowers artisans in underserved communities to sustainably improve skills, manage and grow their businesses, and access the global market. The proprietary mobile technology we developed organizes over 2300 independent, distributed artisans into an efficient and demand-responsive “virtual factory” enabling our artisan workshops to earn 4.8X more than an average Kenyan workshop.
We are driven by purpose—to empower marginalized artisans and the communities in which they live by preserving artisanal production techniques and cultural heritage for future generations. We bring ethical and sustainable jewellery to millennial consumers who demand fashion that aligns with their values. By bridging economic, cultural, technological and geographic divides, we are creating a sustainable business for the future.
Our product is handmade from ethically sourced and up-cycled materials and is currently sold in over 64 countries and have over 700 points of distribution ranging from Nordstrom, Marine Layer, Amour Vert, Anthropologie, Goop, Zolando, Reformation, and more. We are B-Corp certified and endorsed for social impact by the United Nations, USAID, and the World Bank. More information about SOKO can be found on our website www.shopsoko.com.
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA or CPA preferred
- FP&A experience in a rapidly growing venture -backed company
- 7+ years of experience working within a company in the field of Fashion, Supply Chain Management, Sales Management, or Technology (operational/process driven), with operational and business management experience in an international team at an equivalent) level
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Experience raising venture capital is a plus
- Strong thought leadership skills; track record of building, leading and managing high performing teams, providing guidance, support, and development to well-trained staff, attracting top talent
- Working knowledge of short and long term budgeting and forecasting, rolling budgets, and product-line profitability analysis
- Proven ability to act independently and work well under pressure with excellent judgment and decision making skills, handling multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Collaborative and results-oriented business partner with the ability to identify opportunity, influence, negotiate and drive the strategic direction of the company across a fast-growing international team
- Knowledge of NetSuite
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems
- Assist in establishing short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures
- Design, establish and maintain an organizational structure to effectively accomplish the department's goals and objectives
- Coordinate financial audits and provide recommendations for procedural improvements
- Customer-focused; understanding needs and providing solutions
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects